May 26, 2007

Making Friends

Today my friend Erika and I took Reister to our city's children's hospital for an event sponsored by Nestle. Nestle makes baby cereal and formula here and put on an event in lieu of Children's Day (June 1). Anyone could take their baby to have a simple check-up that included measuring the baby's head, height and weight. You could also ask the "experts" any questions. Reister's head is 18.5 in (47 cm), he is 28.15 in (71 cm) tall, and weighs 18.5 lbs (8.4 kg). He has put on some weight this month! Thanks for all your pryrs! The flyer about the event said there would be a competition of some sort. I didn't see one going on when we got there so I asked someone about it. She said "Oh well, we could have one, wait just a minute." Within a couple minutes, several babies were all on the large foam play mat and they had started the crawling race. But just before that a little boy had given Reister an play guitar and he was so infatuated with it that he just sat at one end playing with it. Finally with the help of some of the Nestle ladies, we got him to chase the guitar down the mat. Now the funny part is that normally when he crawls, he "army crawls", but today he crawled all the way down the mat on his hands and knees. I thought surely he would be last because he started last but in the end he got to the very end of the mat first! Well all the other babies were kind of playing along the way (the way you'd expect in a baby crawling race). But one of the Nestle ladies announced "1st place!" and gave us a box of rice cereal as a prize! Way to go Reister! Ha ha! Below are some pictures and a video from the event. Sorry the video is sideways, I took it on my cell phone and accidently turned it to the side!
I'm so thankful I went because I met a mom who doesn't work and stays home with her 12 month old. Most moms here work and the grandparents take care of the babies so I haven't been able to make friends with someone whose schedule is as flexible as mine. I hope to contact her soon so we can get our boys together and visit.

The very end of the race (that's Reister)


The proud Mom and champion (notice how tightly he's clutching the guitar)


The play mat - one of the Nestle ladies in the orange t-shirt to the right of Reister. The little boy to his left is the one who gave him the guitar. His mom was one of the Nestle ladies.


This baby could crawl soooo fast. They said she was only 11 months but she looked a lot older to me.


Reister wasn't sure he wanted to share the guitar


"This guitar is AWESOME!"


Here's the video


4 comments:

  1. Very cute :) So was the guitar his to keep? or did he have to leave it there?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it sounds like Reister had a good time. Sounds like he may be like Keely just eating up the attention! Sounds like a fun time and I hope you and Reister are able to meet up with the lady you met...that'll be neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Reister! Yeah that you met another SAHM. So exciting! & Reister will love having a play mate.

    ReplyDelete