Oct 20, 2007

Moving Post #2

It's inevitable that living in this country you run into things that slow down a process of getting a new place ready to live in. I guess it kind of started yesterday - the lady who made our living room curtain orginally said she could have her installation guy come Friday afternoon but yesterday morning she called and said that he had a family "shi" (something to do) and had to come Saturday morning instead. So I said okay. He arrived before I did at 8:45am. But then he asked if I had a stool or ladder for him to use. Since our place is pretty much empty right now, I didn't have anything for him to use. About the time I got there, the people came to fix our back door which somehow got jammed shut and no one can open it. They suggested the curtain guy use one of the yard's maintenance guy's ladders. So the curtain guy went looking. He didn't find a ladder but a makeshift sawhorse. For some reason he got in an argument with one of the maintenance guys working on our back door in the process. He keep saying something later about that guy having "eaten too much" - must be some kind of cultural slang i don't understand... Anyway, he finally brought the saw horse around in the front door and got his drill out to start drilling for the curtain rod. Then he promptly announced that there was no electricity. Turns out the whole building was out of electricity (not uncommon in this country). Fortunately he was willing to wait a while to see if it came back on. Ten minutes later someone came buy to say it was going to be an hour more at least. During this time, they still hadn't been able to get the backdoor open. They took off the handle but it still wouldn't budge. The guy working on it made a call and said he'd have to wait on another guy to fix it. He also commented that if we could go to the nearby jail and hire a burglar, they'd probably have in open in just a couple minutes. Huh... I guess he's probably right... So anyway, the curtain guy says he's going to leave and will come back when we have electricity. The door guy says he'll have to wait on the other guy to help him. So I say "okay, y'all leave first" and I hung around to snap a couple pics of our place. If I can figure out how to get them linked to my Facebook photo album, you can take a look! (oh, and hopefully I'll somehow get my living room curtains put up!)

1 comment:

  1. oh man! No one ever told me how crazy it was to move overseas - haha! It's fun and crazy and stressful all at once :) haha! I can't wait to look at the pics ;)

    ReplyDelete