Jul 21, 2011

Mason's Birthday Part 1

On the actual day of Mason's 3rd birthday I took cupcakes up to his school to share with his class. I thought it would be a simple thing but his teachers were so sweet and I guess make a big deal of birthdays if they know about it.  These pictures are out of order... I'll just explain them that way.

Mason sharing his cupcakes with his friends.  I don't think any of them had eaten a cupcake before -they normally eat cakes (different from ours because they normally have fruit in them).  They got chocolate icing all over their faces :)

 Here's Mason with the cupcakes.  Notice the party hat - he wore it to school and kept it on the whole morning.
 Mason's teacher had each student come up individually and wish Mason a happy birthday in the way they wanted - they could either say something, sing, dance, give him a hug or kiss.  This is Mason's best friend in the class, Lucas, and he sang the whole birthday song (in chinese) to Mason and gave him a big hug and kiss.
Ms. Ying, Mason's teacher started out by explaining that in one year, the earth rotates around the sun one full time. Then she used the small globe and went around Mason three times, having the class count with her, to show how Mason had been alive for 3 years.

It seemed like we they sang Happy Birthday multiple times, once to music on the CD player, once with the teacher playing piano, a couple more times when the kids just wanted to sing it.  I think I brought out the candle on the cupcake during the first time and then wondered if I had acted too soon on the others.

It was super hot that day and I was sweating up a storm as I watched and helped serve cupcakes. My big ole pregnant belly was soaking my shirt :)  But it was a special time to celebrate Mason at his school.  It's funny how different my boys are because last year I asked Reister if he wanted me to bring cake to his school and he answered with a certain "No".  But Mason seemed to really enjoy being the center of attention.  He would never demand it or even do anything to try and get attention, but he doesn't mind it :)  He's so precious!

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh... happy birthday mason! looks like such a fun day! love the best friend picture!
    btw: i guess i didn't realize that mason & sterling are so close in age - he turns 3 in sept. anyhoo, thanks for sharing your life with us... and the ideas! =)

    ReplyDelete