Jan 12, 2012

Local Life #1 - the market

I've wanted to post more pictures / stories about what life is like here. I don't have a lot of time (or patience) to sit and write a lot of text, but hopefully I can share some pictures that give you more of idea of what our life is like here!

Here are some pictures of the fresh market where I buy most of my food.  I buy all my fruit, vegetables and meat at the fresh market. I actually only go to the supermarket a couple times a month for dry goods (peanut butter, diapers, toilet paper, etc).  We have a mini-mart type convenience store across the street from our apartment complex that has some things that we need regularly. Also, we have our milk delivered to our door (in big boxes of 6 1 Liter boxes - UHT - boxed milk - doesn't have to be refridgerated before opening).
So here are the pictures:


So I actually took these pictures back in November but never got around to posting them until now. This market has actually moved to a new location now, closer to our home, in a new two-story building.  At fresh markets here there lots of different vendors that sell the same stuff.  You just walk around and choose one to buy from - ask them the price, which they tell you per 1/2 kilogram.  Then you choose the produce and they weigh it and bag it.  There are also meat vendors, egg vendors, fish vendors and dry goods vendors (rice, oils, seasonings, etc.).  I don't cook every meal of every day for my family - we go out to eat a lot, both local food and western food, or we order in.  But I do cook some and enjoy being able to get good fresh produce at the market. :)
What questions do you have?

3 comments:

  1. That looks just like the market where we used to live...I miss how easy and cheap it was to get fresh fruit and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember the name of the green vegetable that I enjoyed eating when I visited you. I think it had the word "heart" in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outdoor market, too. My favorite thing is getting to know the vendors who are there every time! My question is: do you cook western or asian at home?

    ReplyDelete