Apr 11, 2008

Baby Update

Well I thought I'd just give you a short update on our baby boy. I went to the hospital three times this week - once to get the order for a glucose tolerance test (Monday) and get the glucose which I drank Tuesday morning (while fasting) and then went back to the hospital to get my blood drawn. Then Thursday I went back to get the results and see the mid-wife and OB/Gyn for my monthly appointment. I passed the glucose test just fine, have normal blood pressure, did a ten-minute test where they listen to the baby's heartrate in relation to his movement (I click a button each time he moves), and then went to see the OB/Gyn. She had me get a hemoglobin test and urine test - both normal. I don't think I posted after I went last month so here's a short recap:

I went to see the American midwife that works here and offers her services to pregnant foreigners in need of prenatal care. (I saw her all through my first pregnancy) After seeing her last month she reminded me that there was a new Swiss doctor (OB/Gyn!) in town who was also willing to see foreigners. When I saw her, she helped to explain our baby's kidney issue and the potential complications. She also said she wanted to do ultrasounds each month until we left to check the kidney's growth (if any) and my amniotic fluid level. If my amniotic fluid level drops below normal, it's an indication that the kidney(s) is not functioning properly. I had my first ultrasound in the hospital here on March 17 (a month after our last one in Thailand). We were dissapointed to find out his left kidney had increased in size quite a bit. The right one was around normal size. But my amniotic fluid level was normal. So all we can do is wait until it's time for an ultrasound each month and see how things are then. I'm scheduled for another one on Monday (April 14) at 2:30pm and will try to post the results of that.
Please ask Father for Him to heal the kidney completely. That would be the best case scenario. But, if not, that the kidney would not get any larger and certainly that my amniotic fluid levels will stay good. Ask for us to TRUST Him through it all, regardless of what happens, and to KNOW that He will glorify Himself through this. I really hope our faith in Him through this and our response to whatever happens will be a testimony to those around us that our true and unwavering hope is in Him.

2 comments: