Although the term probably brings to mind good southern dishes, my meaning is a little different... I mean cooking almost completely from scratch at HOME (my home in East Asia that is)
I have to admit I didn't cook very much while we were back in Texas. We "group" cooked at my in-laws - we all pitched in, but my mother-in-law did the most. Micah did a lot of grilling out on their nice gas grill (wish we had one here!) and we had a lot of good food. When in Austin with my parents, we mostly ate out (at REALLY good places like Chipotle, Mighty Fine Burgers, Rudy's BBQ, and Chic-fil-a. But now that we're back here, we are eating out Chinese, eating in Chinese (that my helper makes a couple times a week) and cooking at home. (Oh yeah, we will eat out American food from time to time but it's expensive and we're trying to live on a tight budget) I am not a super creative cook nor do I just LOVE to cook. In fact the first couple times I cooked at home I was like "yuck! I have to get my hands dirty - while making pizza dough, or homemade pork sausage." Something I've never really successfully done is meal plan. I know lots of moms plan out their meals at the beginning of the week but so far I haven't. I aspire to be that kind of homemaker! The best I have done is plan a day or two in advance. Micah and I both tend to be more spontaneous I guess.
As I've considered WHAT to make at home, I have become very thankful for my friend Sara Beth's recipe blog. Today I'm going to try her "Pasta with chicken and peppers" recipe and just finished roasted red bell peppers for the first time. It was kind of fun and smells very good.
We'll see how the dinner turns out. I'm planning to have salad and bread with it. Maybe I'll even take a picture to show you! :)
Good for you on that home cooking, Michelle! Some of my favorite memories of our child rearing years were meals at the table around dishes that I had prepared from "scratch". Abby & I have discovered a great web-based recipe site that has tons of good ideas with real ingredients. It is www.allrecipes.com I receive their "recipe of the day" each day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Cooking! Best ~Leslie
So you probably don't want me to tell you what we have out on our patio that we brought back from the States! :-)
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about cooking Michelle! That is one of my goals to one day be able to plan out meals and cook every night! Okay, I would be happy if I could at least do that 3 times a week!Is your friend Sarah's recipe blog one that you can share with me?
ReplyDelete